Sunday 10 May 2020

Treasure Island (2012) - A Treasure to Watch

In spite of the reaction of most purists (Treasure Island is one of my most cherished books from my Childhood) personally I really enjoyed the 2012 take on the Classic Robert Louis Stevenson Tale!


Eddie Izzard shaved his head, slaps on the now trademark (thanks to Johnny Depp) eyeliner, and dons a wonderful costume to play John Silver in this (IMHO) really well done of re-imagining of the classic novel.


This frankly beautiful looking adaptation, which boasts a star laden cast (including Donald Sutherland as Captain Flint and a wonderful performance by Elijah Wood as Ben Gunn) was originally presented as a two part Mini Series on Sky, to be perfectly honest I didn't watch it when it was originally broadcast (as I don't have Sky) but I eagerly awaited the DVD release - and I watched it again recently, and once again thoroughly enjoyed it.


It was originally shown in two parts, but to be frank it is a more rewarding experience when watched in one sitting (even my Partner loved it).


As everyone knows in the basic storyline of Treasure Island, the plot follows young Jim Hawkins (brilliantly played by Toby Regbo) who gets hold of a map which indicates there is hidden treasure on an unknown Caribbean island. Confiding in a close family friend Dr Livesey (Daniel Mays) and together with Squire John Trelawney (Rupert Penry Jones - who play Trelawney in a wonderfully dickish way) who funds the expidition and greedily plans to keep ALL the treasure, and Captain Smollettt (Philip Glenister - playing a uniquely Honorable Version of Smollett) who Captains the good ship Hispaniola - they take to the high seas in search of their prize!


At the beginning of the first part, theres a rather clever prologue which explains Long John Silver lost his leg three years previously - and a further sub-plot involving Jim’s mother and Long John’s wife - which I found (unlike some fans of the original Book) refreshing and interesting. Another character embellishment comes from the fleshed-out backstory of the death of Dr Livesey’s wife and its affect on him. NONE of these expanded elements detract from the greatness of the story for me - I see it as more to love and enjoy.


Its a shame that many purists seem to be put off by these 'liberties' (as they would call them) being taken with the Original story. Dr Livesey is portrayed as a timid and broken down man, some would call him cowardly - which only serves to give more weight to his actions to save Jim.


Financier Squire Trelawney is portrayed as a greedy, self serving, aristocratic weasel - but it works. Re-enforcing the moral nature of the original Tale.


I found the ending as Jim has a moral epiphany about right and wrong inspiring rather than jarring - though some might disagree.


Eddie Izzard excels as the anti-hero John Silver, and brings his trademark humour to the role - and to be pefectly honest, the whole cast is excellent at capturing not on the the feel of the original story, but the character of the genre and period.


Director Steven Barron does an excellent job - and stages some exciting action sequences, not to mention that the scenery is impressive, beautiful and haunting at times.


As a piece of swashbuckling family entertainment, I simply cannot recommend it highly enough.


1 comment:

  1. I love the book, bizarrely I did it in school, where usually they pick some tripe to put you off reading ('A Dog So Small' I am looking at you).
    I cannot stand Daniel Mays so his presence poisoned the whole thing for me. Unlike you I was not happy with them 'dicking about' with the plot, sometimes it works but usually it doesn't, especially if they are pushing a message.
    I may not have agreed with you but I did enjoy the review so please do some more.

    ReplyDelete